If you have completed the API configuration necessary for your LMS (linked above), you will be provided the option to automatically link recordings from a capture schedule to an LMS course and Echo360 section at the same time.
What this feature actually does is simplify the administrative process of associating an LMS/VLE course to an Echo360 section containing regularly scheduled lecture recordings. It allows all of those connections to be done at one time, along with capture scheduling.
Furthermore, if you are copying or cloning courses in the LMS, this tool allows you to select the clone, create and link the Echo360 section to it, and create the capture schedule all at once. This means that the extant links in the clone will map to the new Echo360 section by using this process.
- The LMS/VLE must already have the courses you want to configure capture schedules for, and the courses must have at least one instructor/teacher assigned. Echo360 uses the email address of an assigned instructor to find their relevant LMS/VLE courses for the capture schedule and associated Echo360 section you are creating.
- For Blackboard, the instructors must have passed into Echo360 from Blackboard and exist in Echo360. This is due to an API limitation with Blackboard.
- For Canvas Moodle, and Brightspace, the instructors do NOT have to exist in Echo360 yet.
- For Canvas, if the instructor is enrolled via the UI, they must actively Accept the invitation to the Canvas course before the course will appear for scheduling. If using an SIS or other integration tool, the "accept" step is not necessary. See the Canvas Community Forum for more information if needed.
Note that the instructions below assume the LMS course is NOT yet linked to an Echo360 section. One of the primary purposes of this feature is to automatically create and link an Echo360 section to an existing LMS course, while also creating the capture schedule for the course lectures. See the section at the bottom of this page for the differences you may encounter if the LMS course IS already linked to an Echo360 section.
To create a capture schedule and link it to an LMS/VLE Course
- Log into Echo360 as an administrator.
- Click Captures from the main menu, then click New Capture as shown in the below figure.
- Complete the main sections of the capture schedule modal that appears, as described in Creating a scheduled capture.
- Click the Add LMS Course button located in the Publishing & Availability section of the form.
- In the dialog box that appears, enter the email address of any LMS instructor enrolled in the LMS Course you want to generate captures for. If you selected an instructor for the capture schedule at the top of the form, this field is pre-populated with that user's email address.
- Click Search.
Echo360 queries the LMS for all courses where this user is identified as an instructor. The dialog box changes to show a drop-down list for LMS Course.
- Use the LMS Course drop-down list, shown in the below figure, to select the course for these scheduled recordings.
- Click Next.
The dialog box changes to show the Echo360 Course Code and Course Name for the course that will be created in Echo360. This will match the name of the selected LMS Course.
- If you have the option, select a Term for the new section from the drop-down list. Otherwise the new section will be placed into the Term shown.
NOTE that if the Simplified Provisioning option is turned on, the same Term options shown to instructors are also provided in this list. If you do not see the Term you want, un-check the LMS Simplified Provisioning checkbox or change the Term selection options there.
- If necessary, select the default Section number and change it to identify the Echo360 section being created. It can be a number or a name or both, but must be unique to the Course and Term.
- When finished, click SAVE.
Notice in the capture schedule form, the Publishing & Availability area now lists the Echo360 course, term and section being created, and that the naming convention coincides with the LMS Course name.
- If necessary, edit the Availability settings as described in Creating a scheduled capture.
- When finished, click SAVE.
At this point, the new course and section can be found on the Echo360 Courses page. If you view the section as an instructor, you will see the class list for the section, containing the classes that have been created to hold the future recordings for the capture schedule you just created.
Furthermore, the LMS course is now already linked to the Echo360 section. Users only have to click the link to Echo360 from the course, and the section will provide the recordings once they become available.
If the selected LMS course was a COPY of an LMS course that already had an Echo360 section link in it, all of those tool links already exist and are now mapped to the new Echo360 section. If the LMS course contained links to individual classes, those will have to be re-mapped.
If this is a new LMS course, you may need to add an LTI tool link to Echo360 from the course. However, once the link is added, it will automatically map to the newly created section. See Adding the Echo360 Tool Link to Blackboard Courses for Blackboard instructions.
Because Canvas automatically places LTI tool links in all left navigation, you may not need to add a link in Canvas, unless your instructors want to export analytics from Echo360 to their Canvas Gradebook. If they do, there must ALSO be an Echo360 tool link located in the Assignments page for each Canvas course.
If an LMS Course is already linked to Echo360
If the LMS course you select is already linked to an Echo360 section, that connection is acknowledged after you select the LMS course. The schedule you are creating will place those recordings into that section.
This can be useful for a variety of scenarios, but specifically for if an Instructor has already created the new Echo360 course and section via the simplified provisioning process. OR for whatever reason, the association already exists but you still need to set up recordings for the section.
In this case, you can still set up the lecture capture schedule for the instructor, and have those recordings published to the auto-provisioned section. The LMS Course search by instructor feature described on this page simplifies this for you. You no longer have to go find the section first, then add a capture schedule for it.
For already-linked courses, after selecting an LMS Course from the instructor email search, the dialog box differs slightly from the one shown above. Specifically the Term and Section Number are already set and cannot be edited, as shown in the below figure.
What you CANNOT do is change this LMS course to Echo360 section association from this dialog box. This tool recognizes only one course-to-section association, and does NOT provide unlinking capability. To remove the association, log into the LMS and enter Echo360 through the course you want to unlink. Then select the Unlink LMS Course button from the top of the Echo360 section page. For more instructions, see Unlinking Echo360 Sections and Classes from the LMS.
You CAN link from the LMS course into additional Echo360 sections as described in the instructions AT THE BOTTOM of Linking LMS/VLE Courses to Echo360 Courses. But this must be done through the LMS.