Who can do this?
The procedures on this page must be performed by a user who is an administrator in both Brightspace AND Echo360, or a Brightspace administrator working with an Echo360 administrator.
The Echo360 media analytics tool provides viewing data for all of the media currently linked to from the Brightspace Course where the link is accessed from. Clicking the analytics tool link opens a consolidated media analytics page in Echo360, showing view data for all of the Echo360 media currently embedded in the Brightspace course as well as for media located in any Echo360 section linked to this Brightspace course.
Instructors can use this to get at-a-glance information about Student views of course media as well as polling responses for embedded interactive media or section-published presentations.
Providing a link to Echo360 media analytics involves creating an External Tool for the analytics page and then adding that tool to the course navigation in Brightspace. The procedures on this page are for creating the external tool. They are very similar to the procedures for adding an Echo360 library link into Brightspace.
You will be using the URL, Key, and Secret values from your Desire2Learn/Brightspace LTI Profile in Echo360 to create this tool, just like you do for all other Echo360 external tools.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the values between Echo360 and the LMS can be difficult, and can be prone to selection errors. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.
The procedures below are provided as guidelines to the Brightspace tool configuration process. Refer to the Brightspace documentation for additional details or contact Brightspace product support if you need further assistance.
To create an Echo360 media analytics tool
- Log into Brightspace as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the top right corner (it looks like gears)
- In the Organization Related options, select External Learning Tools.
- The Manage External Tool Links tab appears by default
- Click New Link as shown in the below figure.
- In the Create Link form, enter a Title that clearly identifies THIS link as being to Echo360 media analytics
- In the URL field, copy and paste the Host URL from the Brightspace LTI Profile in Echo360 into the corresponding field
- Place your cursor at the END of the pasted URL and append it with the following: /launch/analytics THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE!! Be sure to enter the text in all lower case, exactly as provided here and shown in the below figure.
- Be sure the Visibility checkbox is checked, to allow users to access the analytics tool. You can control WHICH users (by role) can view the tool link when you add it to the course navigation bar.
- Scroll down to the Key/Secret section of the page, and select the Link key/secret radio button.
- Copy/paste the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret values from Echo360 into the corresponding fields in the form as shown below.
- Scroll down to the Security Settings area of the page. Check the boxes that are appropriate for your institution. AT A MINIMUM, Echo360 requires the tool consumer, context, course information, LTI user ID and LTI role list, user name, and user email address. Other selections may aid in the LTI communication required for future integration, so unless you have a specific reason not to, checking all of the options is recommended.
- At the bottom of the form, click Add Org Units.
- Find the main Organizational unit (or the ones to which you want to make this tool available).
- Check the box for each appropriate organizational unit, and select to make the link available for All course offerings of the org unit. This ensures the tool is available for courses within that organization/department.
- When finished with the Tool Provider form, click Save and Close.
The new link can now be selected to add to navigation throughout the interface. See Adding the Echo360 Analytics link to Course Navigation for further instructions.
When a user selects the added link, the analytics for the Brightspace course-related Echo360 media opens in a new tab or in the existing Brightspace window, depending on how it is configured.