If you have installed and configured the LTI Pro app on your Zoom account, you can now add Zoom as an LTI Tool in your LMS/VLE.
Adding the tool allows instructors to select it and then create/schedule Zoom meetings for their classes directly through their LMS course. If you have also configured the LTI Pro app for use with Echo360, those newly scheduled class meetings can be automatically published to the corresponding Echo360 section.
The below sections provide BRIEF instructions for creating the tool or app in each LMS/VLE. Use the instructions that apply to the LMS you are using. Essentially you want to create the tool in a way that allows instructors to select it from each of their courses. The steps are nearly identical to those used to create the Echo360 LTI tool for linking an LMS course to an Echo360 section.
As always, the procedures below are provided as a guide. Refer to your LMS/VLE documentation for further information if necessary.
Creating a Zoom LTI Pro App in Canvas
Unless removed from the navigation for courses, all Canvas apps appear in the left navigation. This makes them available for all users as needed.
Once the Zoom app is created, the Zoom link on the left in a course will allow the instructor to create and configure their course meetings, as well as start the meetings. The same Zoom app link allows students to join the configured Zoom meetings, directly from the LMS course.
To create a Zoom App in Canvas
- Log into Canvas as an administrator.
- Click Admin from the navigation on the left, then select the main Account for your institution. In the figure below, the main account for Canvas is named Echo360.
- The Courses list appears by default. Select Settings from the bottom of the list of links on the left.
- From the Settings page, shown in the below figure, click the Apps tab.
- Click View App Configurations (located in the top right of the Apps tab).
- From the External Apps page, click + App (the add app button), as shown in the below figure.
- In the Add App dialog box, select by XML in the Configuration Type drop-down list.
- Enter a Name that identifies the App as a tool for Zoom scheduling integration.
- Copy and paste the Key, and Secret from the Zoom LTI Pro credentials you created.
- Paste the XML provided by Zoom in their LTI Pro documentation for Canvas. into the XML Configuration field of the Add App form.
- Click Submit.
Enter any course in the account and ensure you see a Zoom entry for the app you just created. Point instructors to this tool for creating and scheduling their course class meetings in Zoom. You will also want to direct them to Completing the Canvas to LMS to Echo360 Integration.
Creating a Zoom External LTI Tool in Moodle
Creating an LTI tool for Zoom uses the same process you used for creating an LTI tool for Echo360. Making the tool available as an Activity allows instructors to easily find and insert the tool link into their courses. From there, they can create and schedule their course meetings in Zoom, directly from their main course page.
To create a Zoom LTI tool in Moodle
- Log into Moodle as an Administrator
- From the left, select Site administration.
- Click the Plugins tab.
- Under Activity modules, find the External tool entry, and click Manage tools from underneath it. This navigation is identified in the below figure.
- On the Manage Tools page, click configure a tool manually, identified in the below figure.
- In the Tool Settings page that appears, enter a Tool Name that clearly identifies this as Zoom tool for adding to courses and creating course meetings.
- Copy the URL, Key, and Secret field values from the Zoom LTI Pro app credentials you created into the corresponding fields of the Tool Settings page in Moodle.
- In the Tool configuration usage drop-down list, select Show in activity chooser and as a preconfigured tool, as is shown in the above figure.
The Zoom tool does not have to appear in the activity chooser, but doing so makes it easier for instructors to find and use the tool for their Moodle courses.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and be sure that Share launcher's name and Share launcher's email are both set to Always as shown in the below figure.
- When finished, click Save changes.
Your Zoom LTI Pro tool can now be selected by instructors to create and schedule each of their LMS course class meetings. Students will be able to click the link added by instructors to join the Zoom class meetings (if the link is set for student visibility). You may also want to direct your instructors to Completing the Moodle to Zoom to Echo360 Integration.
Creating a Tool Provider and Placement for Zoom LTI Pro in Blackboard
Creating an LTI tool and placement for Zoom uses the same process you used for creating an LTI tool and placement for Echo360. It is also to be configured as a course content tool, making the tool available for instructors to easily find and insert the tool link into their courses. From there, they can create and schedule their course meetings in Zoom, directly from the main course page.
To create a Zoom LTI tool and Placement in Blackboard
- Log into Moodle as an Administrator
- From the left, select Admin.
- On the Admin panel select LTI Tool Providers.
- Select Register LTI 1.1 Provider.
- In the provider form, enter the Zoom domain. For example in the US it is zoom.us, as shown in the below figure.
- Under Default Configuration, select Set globally unless you have a reason to create separate placements and links.
- Paste the Key and Secret values from the Zoom LTI Pro app credentials you created into the corresponding fields, identified in the above figure.
- When finished, click Submit.
- Hover over the new Zoom tool you just created and select Manage Placements from the chevron menu.
- Select Create Placement from the top of the placement list area.
- In the Placement form, give the placement a Label that will clearly identify this for instructors as the Zoom scheduling content tool.
- Enter a Description if desired.
- Enter a unique Handle for the zoom tool.
- Set Availability to Yes (this is the default).
- Scroll down and select Course content tool from the tool Type options, as shown in the below figure.
- Scroll down to the Tool Provider Information section of the form, and paste the URL from the Zoom LTI Pro app credentials you created into the corresponding field. The Key and Secret fields should already be populated with the values you used for the Tool provider.
- Complete any other necessary fields on the form page.
- When finished, click Submit.
The Zoom our Zoom LTI Pro tool will now appear in the Content list for each course, and can be selected by instructors to create and schedule each of their LMS course class meetings in Zoom.
Once added to the course, Students will be able to click the link to join the Zoom class meetings (if the link is set for student visibility). You may also want to direct your instructors to Completing the Blackboard to Zoom to Echo360 Integration.