Who can do this?
Blackboard Administrators who are also, or in conjunction with, Echo360 Administrators.
In order to allow users to embed Echo360 media into Ultra enabled courses, and to support LTI 1.3, Echo360 supports the use of an LTI deep link tool in Blackboard. Ultra enabled courses do not support the use of building blocks, so the content windows cannot provide the Echo360 Video Library option for embedding media. The deep-link enabled LTI tool is the method required for users to embed media in an Ultra enabled course.
You can create both an LTI deep link tool as well as install the Echo360 building block, which would allow instructors to select which course view they prefer (Original or Ultra) and be able to embed Echo360 media in either.
The instructions on this page assume you have already created an LTI Tool Provider for your Echo360 institution. These procedures add a Placement for that tool that allows for embedding media in Ultra courses. Refer users to Embedding Echo360 Media in an Ultra-enabled Course for instructions on using the tool once configured.
To add a deep link placement for embedding media in Ultra courses
- Log into blackboard as an Administrator and select Admin from the left panel.
- Select LTI Tool Providers from the Integrations module.
- Hover over your existing Echo360 Tool from the list and click the chevron that appears.
- From the chevron menu, select Manage Placements as shown in the below figure.
- Click Create Placement from the top of the placements list.
- In the Create Placement form, provide a Label for the new tool. This is the name that users will see and select for embedding media, so provide a name that clearly indicates this is the Echo360 media embed tool
- Provide a Description if desired. This appears in the Placements list and will tell other Admins the purpose of this placement.
- Enter a Handle for the placement. This must be unique in the system.
- For Availability select Yes.
- For Type, select Deep Linking content tool.
- Enable the Allow student access checkbox IF you want students to be able to embed Echo360 media into Ultra courses (such as for assignment submissions or discussion posts, etc). Otherwise the tool is only available for non-students to access.
- Scroll down to the Tool Provider Information section of the page.
- If the LTI Tool provider is configured to Set Globally, you only need to enter the Host URL value from the LMS Configurations page in Echo360. The other two values will already be present.
- If the LTI tool provider is configured to Set on each link, you will also need to provide the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret from the LMS Configurations page in Echo360 into the corresponding fields.
- When finished, click Submit.
Enabling the Embed Tool for Courses
Once the tool exists, the last step is to ensure it is turned ON for your Blackboard Courses. We recommend that you enable it for both new and existing courses, but the choice is up to you.
To turn the embed tool on for courses
- Return to the Administrator Panel
- Select Tools from the Tools and Utilities module
- Filter the list of tools if necessary, and scroll down to find the tool you just created (they are in alphabetical order). It will appear using the Label you gave it in the procedure above.
- Ensure that the tool is turned ON and use the drop-down list to enable it for new and existing courses, as shown in the below figure.
- When finished, click Submit.
The tool will now appear as an option when a user selects to Insert/Edit LTI Item in a content window OR if they select Content Market for adding to a course. In both instances the Content Market opens and the tool you configured appears for selection. See Embedding Echo360 Media in an Ultra-enabled Course.