Who can do this?
A Canvas Administrator who is also an Echo360 Administrator (or in conjunction with an Echo360 admin).
Upgrading the Echo360 Editor Button App in Canvas involves removing or deactivating the existing editor button placement, then creating a new one in Canvas. If you have not updated your Echo360 embed media app since mid-December 2019, we STRONGLY recommend you do so, to take advantage of significant improvements in functionality.
The newest version of the Echo360 App provides authentication for all users viewing embedded media, which allows Echo360 to provide detailed viewing data and unique viewer statistics for embedded media. It also provides the ability to embed interactive media (videos with embedded polling questions) into Canvas courses.
Note please that the instructions below are provided as a guide, and your Canvas interface may vary depending on how you have your instance configured. Refer to the Canvas documentation for additional assistance if necessary.
IMPORTANT: For Students to be able to use the embed button, you must enable the Student Library, allowing students to access a cache of Echo360 media to embed.
While you can add the Echo360 App at the Course level, we strongly recommend adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
Removing or Deactivating the Existing Echo360 Editor Button App
Whether you delete your existing Echo360 editor button app or deactivate it depends on whether it is currently combined with other Echo360 apps in your Canvas instance. Instructions for both are provided below.
To find your Echo360 App configuration
- Log into Canvas as an administrator
- Click Admin from the left navigation, and select the main Echo360 account.
- From the list of options on the left, click Settings, then click Apps as shown in the below figure.
- Click View App Configurations.
- From the list of configured Apps, find the one that contains the Echo360 editor button (the embed media button).
- On the right side of the app entry in the list, click the Settings icon then select Placements from the settings menu, as shown in the below figure.
If you are working from a sub-account, this may be an "i" or "info" icon; click it to see the current placements for this app.
What placements you see will determine your next steps.
If your Editor Button placement is the ONLY placement listed, as shown in the below figure, you can delete this app and install a new one.
Close the App Placements pop-up box then select Delete from the Settings menu (the settings menu is shown in the procedure above).
If your Editor Button placement is combined with others, as shown below, you must deactivate the Editor Button placement, then install a new one.
Click the checkmark next to the Editor Button placement listed in the box. It turns into a red X.
If you are working at the sub-account level and can only VIEW the placements via the "info" button for the App, you can still deactivate the Editor Button at this level by clicking the checkmark for the placement.
Deactivating or deleting then replacing the Echo360 editor button app has NO affect on existing embedded media, as long as the new one uses the same LMS Configuration values from Echo360 as the original one did. Since you likely have only one LMS Configuration for Canvas in Echo360, simply reuse these values (Key and Secret) for your new, updated app.
Installing an Updated Echo360 Editor Button App
The installation instructions for the updated editor button app are essentially the same as the original installation instructions. Be sure to follow the below instructions as written, to create an Editor Button ONLY app. This allows it to be removed and reinstalled in the future to provide updated functionality.
Installing the Echo360 editor button app for embedding media
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
The LMS configurations page should be showing by default.
- On the RIGHT side of the page, select the Configurations tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Find your Canvas LMS configuration.
- Select the LTI Config tab as shown in the below figure.
- Enable ONLY the Content embed button slider.
- Click SAVE.
YOU MUST CLICK SAVE to generate the updated XML for use in Canvas.
- Click the XML tab, located to the right of the LTI Config tab and identified in the below figure.
- Click COPY XML. The XML cartridge is copied to your system clipboard for pasting into Canvas or an intermediary page or location if you prefer.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the Echo360 tab/window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to also copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) where you want to install the app (where the courses that will use it reside).
- From the left side of the screen, select Settings, then click Apps the click View App Configurations as shown in the figure earlier on this page.
- Click Apps from the top of the Settings page.
- Click + App to add a new app to your configuration.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for this tool. This can be anything you want but should clearly identify this as the Echo360 media embed toolbar button.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl+V or Command+V to paste the copied XML from Echo360.
- OPTIONAL: Scroll down into the XML you just pasted, and look for the "editor_button" section of the cartridge. There you should find an entry for "blti:title" as shown in the below figure.
- Change the text to Embed Echo360 Media or something similar. This is the text that will be shown to users when they hover their mouse over the button in the content window toolbar. This is entirely optional.
- Go back to the Echo360 window and click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration.
- Copy the Consumer Key value from Echo360, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
- Copy the Shared Secret value from Echo360, then paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas.
(Tip: Click into the field, type Ctrl+A/Command+A to select all, then Ctrl+C/Command+C to copy; use Ctrl+V/Command+V to paste into Canvas.)
- When finished, click Submit.
- On the notification box that likely appears, click Yes Install this Tool. This is simply a notice that the tool URL to Echo360 from the Canvas LMS Configuration is already being used in another existing tool.
You should now see your Echo360 editor button/embed app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app, an Echo360 Library app, and a Video Homework Submission app, those will also be listed.
If you click Settings > Placements for the new app, it should show Editor Button as the only placement.