Updating your Canvas Apps: If you have created three different Echo360 apps in Canvas, one each for Course Navigation, Editor Button for embedding videos, and Student Homework Submission, updating the apps to use new functionality such as authenticated embed views is as simple as removing the old Editor Button app and Homework Submission app and replacing them with new ones, using updated XML and the instructions below. IF, however, your Course Navigation app is coupled with the others, you must use the Canvas API to update the app configuration. If you delete the old Course Navigation app and replace it, links into Echo360 will work but Gradebook exports to existing assignment link columns will not. If you need assistance updating the app via the API, contact Echo360 Support.
The same type of Echo360 app you added to link Canvas Courses into Echo360 sections, can also be used to add an Echo360 embed button to content editor toolbars across courses. This allows instructors and students to embed Echo360 videos from their library directly into a Canvas content window for other course users to view.
IMPORTANT: For Students to be able to use the embed button, you must enable the Student Library, allowing students to access a cache of Echo360 media to embed.
LMS-embedded videos provide view data such as view counts and heatmap data, as shown in the Analytics tab of the media details page of the video. Furthermore, as long as the user is logged into the LMS, and you have created or updated the Echo360 app for the Editor Button after mid-December 2019, the views can be attributed to unique viewers and as such are counted as Unique Views in the analytics data provided.
The instructions below provide instructions for generating an XML cartridge for your current Canvas LMS configuration, then using that to create an App in Canvas that provides an Echo360 content embed button in the content windows of Canvas.
As with any LTI tool, while you can add the Echo360 App at the Course level, we strongly recommend adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS/Echo360 administrator.
Helpful tip for updating the App: You may want to rename the existing Editor Button app so you can identify it from the new, updated one you create. This will make deleting it after the new one is in place easier. Removing the old App will not affect the viewability of existing embedded videos.
To generate an XML cartridge that provides an Echo embed button
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
The LMS configurations page should be showing by default.
- On the RIGHT side of the page, select the Configurations tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Find your existing Canvas LMS configuration.
- Select the LTI Config tab as shown in the below figure.
- Enable ONLY the Content embed button slider.
- Click SAVE.
Clicking Save with the toggle enabled updates the XML cartridge that you then select and paste into Canvas.
- Click the XML tab.
- Click COPY XML. The XML cartridge text is copied to your clipboard.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the Echo360 tab/window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to also copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab in Echo into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) that contains the courses where instructors will want to embed Echo videos into content windows.
- From the left side of the screen, select Settings.
- Click Apps from the top of the Settings page.
- Click View App Configurations to see the list of already installed external apps. Your existing Echo360 app for course linking should already be listed.
- Click + App.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for this tool. This can be anything you want but should clearly identify this as the LTI tool that provides the Echo embed button.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl+V or Command+V to paste the copied XML from Echo360.
- Go back to the Echo360 window and click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration (if necessary).
- Copy the Consumer Key value from Echo360, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
(Tip: Click into the field, type Ctrl+A/Command+A to select all, then Ctrl+C/Command+C to copy; use Ctrl+V/Command+V to paste into Canvas.)
- From the Echo360 window, copy the Shared Secret value from Echo360 and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas. (See above Tip for select/copy/paste.)
- When finished, click Submit.
You should now see your Echo360 content embed app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app and a Video Homework Submission app, those will also be listed.
If you click the Info button for each and check Placements, the new app one should show Editor Button as the placement.