Upgrading the Building Block: If you are upgrading an existing Blackboard Building Block, you must uninstall the existing one then re-install the newly downloaded one using the instructions below. For more specific procedures, see Upgrading the Blackboard Building Block later on this page.
If you want to allow students to submit video assignments from Echo360 into Blackboard, you must have at least version 1.0.8 of the Echo360 Building Block installed.
To enable authenticated LMS embedded videos, you must install at least version 1.0.10 of the building block. Leave the main toggle on so that earlier embeds continue to work.
Echo360 provides Blackboard Building Block that can be downloaded from Echo360 and installed and configured on your Blackboard instance. This plugin allows users to embed videos from their Echo360 library directly into a Blackboard page or content window. Administrators can also embed any video in the system to which they have access (visible in the Admin Captures page of Echo360).
- To allow Students to embed Echo360 videos into Blackboard content windows, you must "white list" the Echo360 URL for iframes in the default policy applied to content windows. Otherwise, student embeds will not work. In Echo360, the Student Library must be enabled.
- To allow Students to embed Echo360 videos as assignment submissions, you must install version 1.0.8 or higher of the Echo360 building block, as well as add the
echo-libraryto the "white list". The difference between a "normal" Student video embed and an Assignment submission is that when students embed a video in an Assignment submission, Echo360 locks down the submitted video to ensure it cannot be edited or deleted by the student after submission.
See Configuring Blackboard to allow Students to use the Echo360 Video Mashups Option for specific instructions on enabling Student use of the Echo360 video embedding feature.
The Echo360 Building Block is supported on Blackboard Learn 9.1.0 or later. Furthermore, these procedures are provided as a guide; your Blackboard interface may vary depending on the version you are using. Please refer to the Blackboard documentation for further assistance as necessary.
LMS-Embedded videos provide view data such as view counts and heatmap data, as shown in the Analytics tab of the media details page of the video. Furthermore, as long as the user is logged into the LMS, and you have at least version 1.0.10 of the building block installed, the views can be attributed to unique viewers and as such are counted as Unique Views in the analytics data provided.
The LMS Configuration information (Key, Secret, and URL) can be the same as they are for the External Tool you may already have configured in Blackboard for Echo360.
These procedures must be performed by the Blackboard/Echo360 administrator.
To install the Echo360 Building Block for enabling Echo360 embed video content option
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator and navigate to the Downloads page (Settings > Downloads).
- Scroll down to the section where the Echo360 building block for Blackboard Learn is located, and click Download.
- EXTRACT the contents of the downloaded .zip file. Be sure to save the .war file to a known location. This is the file you will install into Blackboard.
You can double-click the .zip file to SEE the contents, but attempting to move, copy, or otherwise use the files will result in an error. Extract the contents to a separate location first.
- Log into Blackboard as an Admin and navigate to the System Admin section of the interface.
- Select Building Blocks.
- Select Installed Tools.
- In the Installed Tools page, select Upload Building Blocks.
- Navigate to and select the WAR file you downloaded from the Downloads page of Echo360.
- Click Submit.
- On the Privileges page that appears, review the privileges being provided to the Echo360 building block and click Approve.
- Once the installation has finished, click Return to return to the list of Installed Tools.
- Find the Echo360 Video Library in the list, and click the chevron menu that appears on hover, shown in the below figure.
- Click Settings from the menu. A page appears that allows you to enter LMS configuration data.
If you are upgrading (uninstalling/reinstalling a new version) the building block, these fields may already be populated.
- Copy and paste the Consumer Key, Secret, and URL from the Echo360 LMS Configurations page (shown below) into the corresponding fields of the Building Block (shown above).
- Click Submit.
- Per the First time install? instructions on the LTI Configuration page, you must turn the newly installed Echo360 tool on for selection in courses.
Return to the Admin Panel, and select Course Settings.
- In the list of Tools shown, scroll or page forward until you find the Echo360 Video Library tool you just installed.
- Turn the new Echo360 Video Library ON for the courses in your Blackboard instance.
Once enabled for your courses, any content window for the course will contain the Echo360 Video Library option in the Mashups dropdown list, as shown at the top of this page. Students and Instructors can embed any videos they own (appear in their My Content library). Administrators can embed any video they have access to in the system.
In order to allow students to embed videos in Blackboard, you must also update the SafeHTML policy file with the Echo360 domains, and activate it. See Configuring Blackboard to Allow Students to Embed from Echo360 for instructions.
Upgrading the Blackboard Building Block
If a new version of the building block is released, you can remove the old one and install the new one downloaded from the Echo360 Downloads page. Doing so may retain the LTI Configuration settings you had for the one you removed, but it's a good idea to pass through all of the above installation steps just to be sure. If you want to allow students to submit video assignments from Echo360 into Blackboard, you must have at least version 1.0.8 of the Echo360 Building Block installed. To enable authenticated embeds in Blackboard and receive unique view data, you must have at least version 1.0.10 of the building block installed.
In addition, if necessary, refer to the above screenshots for the below procedures if necessary. Once again, these instructions are provided as a guide and your Blackboard interface may vary depending on the version you are using. Refer to the Blackboard documentation for additional assistance if necessary.
To upgrade the Echo360 Video Library building block
- Log into Blackboard as an administrator and open the Admin panel.
- Select Building Blocks.
- Select Installed Tools.
- Page through the list of tools and find the Echo360 Video Library tool.
- Enable the checkbox to the left of the Echo360 tool and then select Uninstall, located at the top of the list.
- Once removed, download the new Echo360 building block and follow the installation instructions above.
- You may ALSO need to delete your existing SafeHTML Filter and re-upload and activate it (you probably don't need to edit it again). Making changes to the Building Block sometimes requires this step to allow students to embed videos. See Configuring Blackboard to Allow Students to Embed from Echo360 for instructions if necessary.