Upgrading the Building Block: If you are upgrading an existing Blackboard Building Block, you must uninstall the existing one then install the new one. For more specific procedures, see Upgrading the Blackboard Building Block later on this page.
You should be using the latest version of the Echo360 Video Library Building Block to ensure full compatibility with Blackboard version updates, as well as providing all the functionality available. As of this writing, the current building block version is 1.0.13.
BE ADVISED that until you upgrade, users will encounter the error shown below when embedding. They can still click Submit and the media will embed. The error is simply noting the lack of a placeholder/preview in the embed window.
Echo360 provides a Blackboard Building Block that can be downloaded from Echo360 and installed and configured on your Blackboard instance. The functionality provided by the Echo360 Video Library building block includes:
- Allow users to embed video, audio, or interactive media into Blackboard content windows from their Echo360 library, or to upload media and embed it as a single process. By default this feature is only available to instructors and teaching assistants, but can also be provided to Students.
See Configuring Blackboard to allow Students to embed Echo360 media as well as Embedding Echo360 Media into Blackboard.
- Allow students to embed Echo360 media as assignment submissions. The difference between an "assignment" submission and a "normal" student embed, is that when students embed a video in an Assignment submission, Echo360 locks down the submitted video to ensure it cannot be edited or deleted by the student after submission. The added step necessary for this is provided in Configuring Blackboard to allow Students to embed Echo360 media article. Have instructors also refer to Creating a Blackboard Assignment for Student Media Submission from Echo360.
Administrators can embed any media in the system to which they have access (visible in the Admin Captures page of Echo360).
The Building Block, once installed and configured, provides an Echo360 Video Library option in the Add content tool list for any content window in Blackboard.
The Echo360 Building Block is supported on Blackboard Learn 9.1.0 or later. Furthermore, these procedures are provided as a guide; your Blackboard interface may vary depending on the version you are using. Please refer to the Blackboard documentation for further assistance as necessary.
LMS-Embedded media provide view data such as view counts, view durations, and heatmap data, as shown in the Analytics tab of the media details page of the media.
The LMS Configuration information (Key, Secret, and URL) can be the same as they are for the External Tool you may already have configured in Blackboard for Echo360.
These procedures must be performed by the Blackboard/Echo360 administrator.
To install the Echo360 Building Block for enabling Echo360 embed video content option
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator and navigate to the Downloads page (Settings > Downloads).
- Scroll down to the section where the Echo360 building block for Blackboard Learn is located, and click Download.
- EXTRACT the contents of the downloaded .zip file. Be sure to save the .war file to a known location. This is the file you will install into Blackboard.
You can double-click the .zip file to SEE the contents, but attempting to move, copy, or otherwise use the files will result in an error. Extract the contents to a separate location first.
- Log into Blackboard as an Admin and navigate to the System Admin section of the interface.
- Select Building Blocks.
- Select Installed Tools.
- In the Installed Tools page, select Upload Building Blocks.
- Navigate to and select the WAR file you downloaded from the Downloads page of Echo360.
- Click Submit.
- On the Privileges page that appears, review the privileges being provided to the Echo360 building block and click Approve.
- Once the installation has finished, click Return to return to the list of Installed Tools.
- Find the Echo360 Video Library in the list, and click the chevron menu that appears on hover, shown in the below figure.
- Click Settings from the menu. A page appears that allows you to enter LMS configuration data.
If you are upgrading (uninstalling/reinstalling a new version) the building block, these fields may already be populated.
- Copy and paste the Consumer Key, Secret, and URL from the Echo360 LMS Configurations page (shown below) into the corresponding fields of the Building Block (shown above).
- Click Submit.
- Per the First time install? instructions on the LTI Configuration page, you must turn the newly installed Echo360 tool on for selection in courses.
Return to the Admin Panel, and select Course Settings.
- In the list of Tools shown, scroll or page forward until you find the Echo360 Video Library tool you just installed.
- Turn the new Echo360 Video Library ON for the courses in your Blackboard instance.
Once enabled for your courses, any content window for the course will contain the Echo360 Video Library option in the Mashups dropdown list, as shown at the top of this page. Students and Instructors can embed any videos they own (appear in their My Content library). Administrators can embed any video they have access to in the system.
In order to allow students to embed videos in Blackboard, you must also update the SafeHTML policy file with the Echo360 domains, and activate it. See Configuring Blackboard to Allow Students to Embed from Echo360 for instructions.
Upgrading the Blackboard Building Block
If a new version of the building block is released, you can remove the old one and install the new one downloaded from the Echo360 Downloads page. Doing so may retain the LTI Configuration settings you had for the one you removed, but it's a good idea to pass through all of the above installation steps just to be sure.
If you want to allow students to submit video assignments from Echo360 into Blackboard, you must have at least version 1.0.8 of the Echo360 Building Block installed. To enable authenticated embeds in Blackboard and receive unique view data, you must have at least version 1.0.10 of the building block installed.
We STRONGLY recommend using the current version of the building block, which at this writing is 1.0.13.
In addition, if necessary, refer to the above screenshots for the below procedures if necessary. Once again, these instructions are provided as a guide and your Blackboard interface may vary depending on the version you are using. Refer to the Blackboard documentation for additional assistance if necessary.
To upgrade the Echo360 Video Library building block
- Log into Blackboard as an administrator and open the Admin panel.
- Select Building Blocks.
- Select Installed Tools.
- Page through the list of tools and find the Echo360 Video Library tool.
- Enable the checkbox to the left of the Echo360 tool and then select Uninstall, located at the top of the list.
- Once removed, download the new Echo360 building block and follow the installation instructions above.
- Once installed, check the Settings of the building block and ensure the Key, Secret, and URL values are populated and match those in your Blackboard LMS Configuration in Echo360.
- In the Administrator Panel, open Course Tools and find the Echo360 Video Library tool. Ensure that it is turned ON and that you have selected to make it available to New and Existing Courses.
- You MAY also need to delete then re-upload and Activate your existing SafeHTML Filter. This is not ALWAYS necessary after upgrading, but if you find users, particularly students, having problems embedding media, perform this extra step to ensure they have access to the tool. See Configuring Blackboard to Allow Students to Embed from Echo360 for instructions if necessary.