Prerequisites for using the Echo360 Embed button:
1) A Canvas Administrator must have installed and enabled the Echo360 Embed button for your Canvas instance.
2) For Students to embed media, the Student Library MAY need to be turned on for your institution. OR Students can embed media from any Group where they have the Post permission.
If your Canvas administrator has enabled it for your institution, Echo360 provides a media embed button (also called an "easy embed button") that appears in the toolbar of Canvas content windows. One is identified in the below figure. This button opens the Echo360 Embed media dialog box.
The Echo360 Embed Media dialog box provides the ability to:
- Embed media from Echo360 directly into your Canvas course as described on this page
- Upload a media file then embed it as a single process
- Create new media with Universal Capture then embed it a single process
- Post a link to the media (instead of embedding it) into Canvas
You can access the Embed media dialog box from any content window where Canvas provides the Echo360 embed button (e.g., adding Pages, Discussions, Assignments, etc).
LMS-Embedded media provide view data such as view counts and heatmap data, along with individual user viewing information, all of which is displayed in the Analytics tab of the media details page.
The steps below are for selecting media already resident in Echo360. The Embed Media dialog box lists all Echo360 media you own as well as any audio, video, or interactive media in any Group where you have the Post permission. If you need to upload or create the media first and need instructions, use the links above for more information.
To embed existing Echo360 media into a content window
- Log in to Canvas.
- Open the Course in Canvas for the course you want to post the video to.
- Click the location on the left where you want to post the item. The below figures show adding a Page to the course into which the media is being embedded.
- Select to add one of the item types (+Page or +Assignment, etc.)
- Give the item a Name that identifies either the video you are posting or the purpose for posting it (extra credit, ancillary research, look at my cute puppy, etc.).
- From the toolbar of the content window, click the Echo360 icon, as identified in the below figure.
A dialog box appears with the Choose From My Home tab active, listing the Echo360 audio, video, or interactive media you own, as well as media in any Group where you have the Post permission. If you need to upload media to embed, click the Upload Existing Media tab, and refer to the instructions in the link if necessary.
- If necessary, use the Search text box and/or Filters options to find the media you want to embed into the window.
- Click Reset to clear any search/filters as needed.
Select the media you want to embed to enable the options at the bottom of the dialog box.
If you want to post a link to the media instead of embedding it directly into the page, enable the Link toggle and if necessary see Posting a Link to Echo360 Media in your LMS/VLE Course.
- From the Player Style drop-down list, select the style you want to be applied to the player.
The Player Style drop-down only appears if your institution has created custom player styles to choose from. If you have selection options, pick the one for your department or organization (or the default) that you want applied to the playback of this media.
Selecting a style may automatically select Size, Autoplay, and Automute options for you; these can still be changed.
- From the Select size drop-down list, select the size for the media playback. It is 640x420 by default
- If appropriate, enable the option to Autoplay the video (it will play as soon as a user opens the page you are embedding it into).
- If you enable Autoplay, Automute is automatically enabled, to accommodate browsers that no longer allow autoplay with sound. You CAN enable Automute separately without Autoplay.
- If appropriate, set a Start At time. If set, the video will begin playing at that timestamp, although viewers will be able to rewind/fast-forward the player to view any segment of the embedded video.
This option is NOT available for interactive media.
- When finished, click INSERT.
A preview of the inserted video appears inside the content area, as shown in the below figure.
- Complete whatever remaining fields are on the item you are adding, then click Save or Save & Publish as appropriate.
Once the item is published, users can access the item and view the embedded video. If you selected Autoplay or Start At configurations for the video, those are enacted for the viewer.