In order for students to access the Echo360 content for a course, an Activity link to the Echo360 external tool must be added to each course.
Who can do this? A Moodle Admin can do this for all courses, or an Instructor or non-managing Teacher can do this for their own courses.
To add the Echo360 LTI tool link to a course
- Navigate to the Course Page: Home > Course Name.
- In the upper-right corner of the course page, click the Turn editing on button.
- In the main course row at the top of the page, select Add an activity or resource.
DO NOT click under a specific weekly entry on the page UNLESS you are linking directly to the Classes in your Echo360 section. In this case, you may prefer to use the weekly entries for these links.
- Select External Tool from the Activity list and click Add.
- On the Add a new External tool page, enter an Activity name that clearly identifies this as the Echo360 tool.
- In the Preconfigured tool list, select the Echo360 tool configured for Moodle.
Did you get a URL from your Admin? The external tool configuration done by your Admin normally requires that you select the Echo360 tool from the drop-down list as noted here. However, some institutions do it differently and instead send a URL for instructors to use. If you got a URL from your Admin to use in configuring the tool, enter it into the Launch URL field.
If you select the Echo360 tool instead, this field should dim, as shown in the below figure.
- Click Show more to expand the General area of the tool configuration.
- From the Launch container drop-down list, select New window.
If the LTI tool was configured to open in a new window, you can leave this at Default, but if you are not sure, select New window. This allows Echo360 to open in a new tab/window, which provides more space for viewing and navigating through classroom media and functionality.
- Scroll down and expand the Privacy section of the page, as shown in the above figure.
- Ensure that ALL THREE checkboxes are checked. If your Administrator selected these for the tool, they may be checked and grayed out. If they are selectable, ensure you select all three.
- Scroll down and expand the Grades section of the page.
- Enter or change any Grade configurations as needed. These settings relate to the exporting of student engagement data from the Echo360 section into the Moodle Gradebook.
- Click Save Changes. The course page should now show an activity link to Echo360.
- On the Course page, click Turn editing off.
If you are also configuring an integration with Zoom LTI Pro, leave editing turned on but continue with the steps below.
As the instructor or admin, you MUST now click this link and complete the configuration by selecting which Echo360 section (or classroom) this link leads to. See instructions below.
Once configured, when a student clicks this tool link, the Echo360 interface opens in a new tab/window, showing the class list (or classroom) from Echo360.
Users may have to tell their browser to allow pop-ups from the Moodle site for the new tab/window to launch.
Completing the Moodle Link into Echo360
Quick instructions for configuring the assignments link into Echo360. If you need more detailed instructions, see Linking LMS Courses to Echo360 Sections (Class List) or Linking LMS Courses to Individual Classes/Classrooms.
NOTE that your institution may be configured to automatically create the Echo360 section when you click your Echo360 tool link. If this happens, you do not need to perform the below steps.
- Click the link to Echo360 you just created.
- Use the drop-down list(s) to select the Echo360 term, course, and section (or in some cases, just the section, if that is the option you are given) you want to link to.
- Select Link to the Section Home to link students directly to the section class list.
Select Link to a Classroom to link students directly into a Class in the section, then select which class. This is more commonly done for individual topics in the course and not at the main course level.
- Click LINK CONTENT to complete the configuration.
Once you link through, you are automatically enrolled as an instructor in the target section.