Prerequisites for using the Echo360 Student Homework Submission feature:
1) A Canvas Administrator must have configured an Echo360 app for video homework submissions for your Canvas instance.
2) The Student Library must be enabled and students must have content they own in their Content Home/Library. Only content owners can embed videos in an LMS.
If a Canvas Admin has enabled it for your institution, Echo360 provides a method for students to submit videos for Canvas Assignments directly from their Echo360 library. The benefit of using Echo360 for this submission is that once the video is submitted by the student, it is locked and cannot be edited or deleted.
To allow students to submit an Echo360 video from their library as a response to a Canvas Assignment, the Assignment has to be configured in a specific way. Those procedures are below.
As always, the below steps are provided as a reference; refer to your Canvas documentation if you need further instructions.
To create an Assignment in Canvas that students can submit Echo360 videos for
- Log in to Canvas as an instructor and navigate to a course.
- Click Assignments on the left. It may be gray if no assignments have been created yet.
- Click + Assignment to add an assignment, as shown in the below figure.
- In the Name and Description fields, enter information that describes the assignment and the purpose you want to students to understand about it. The Name you enter is what appears in the Assignments page, and is what you see when selecting Assignment links to post in other locations (such as Modules) in Canvas. Name is required; Description is optional.
- Scroll down and find the Submission Type area of the form. This is shown in the below figure.
- In the Submission Type drop-down list, select Online.
- In the Online Entry Options below the drop-down list, check the Website URL box.
This is because the student-submitted video is submitted in an embedded URL format.
- Complete the other fields on the Assignment form as desired.
- When finished, click Save or Save & Publish as appropriate.
The new assignment is listed on the Assignments page (or in an assignment group if that's what you selected). Students may also receive a notification of a new assignment.
When students click on the assignment to submit a response, they will see an entry location with two tabs: Website URL and Echo360 Homework Embed, as shown below. Clicking the Echo360 Homework Embed tab provides access to their Echo360 library and the videos contained there. Refer students to Submitting an Echo360 Video for your Canvas Assignment for detailed instructions on submitting a video response from Echo360.