Who can do this?
These procedures must be performed by an LMS administrator.
The instructions below will add Echo360 as an external LTI tool in Moodle at the organizational or institutional level. This makes the tool available for any courses configured for the institution.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the values between Echo360 and the LMS can be difficult, and can be prone to selection errors. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.
To create the External LTI Tool in Moodle
- Log into Moodle as an administrator.
- From the Settings menu, select Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules.
- Under Activity Modules select External Tools > Manage Tools (this may vary, depending on the version of Moodle you are using).
The below figure highlights the selection breadcrumbs across the top of the screen, to help you find the location in the Moodle interface. Refer to your Moodle documentation for further assistance if needed.
- On the Manage Tools page, click Configure a tool manually, as identified in the above figure.
The External Tool configuration page appears.
- Enter a Tool Name that clearly identifies this as the Echo360 tool you are configuring. Each activity link in each course will have its own name, so this simply needs to identify this as the Echo360 Tool.
- Copy the following fields from the Moodle LTI Profile in Echo360 into the corresponding fields on the External Tool Configuration form:
- Tool URL > Host URL
- Consumer Key > Consumer Key
- Shared Secret > Shared Secret
- In the Tool configuration usage drop-down list, select Show as preconfigured tool when adding an external tool, as is shown in the above figure.
This is required for the Echo360 tool to appear in the External tool type list, when creating an activity in the course for linking to an Echo360 section.
- For Default launch container, select New window. This sets the launch default for all links created on courses to this External tool, instructing Echo360 to open in a new browser tab/window.
While not required, this is strongly recommended to both provide maximum screen area for viewing Echo360 content, and to avoid any browser-specific issues surrounding displays of Echo360 content inside a frame.
- Click Show more to expand this section of the page.
- In the Icon URL field, enter the following URL (customizing the base for your region as appropriate: echo360.net.au/echo360.org.uk/echo360.ca):
- Expand the Privacy section of the page.
- Select Always for all three of the Privacy settings. The first two are required to authenticate users into Echo360 from Moodle.
- Share launcher's name with tool > Always
- Share launcher's email with tool > Always
- The Accept grades from tool setting allows instructors to export Echo360 analytics to the Moodle gradebook if they want to.
- Complete any other fields in the form as appropriate for your institution.
- When finished, click Save changes.
The Echo360 External LTI Tool should now appear in the list of selections for adding an External Tool activity/resource to any Moodle course.